Claims Frequently Asked Questions

We understand that dealing with a loss can be stressful. Following are answers to common claims questions you might have. If you cannot find an answer here, our experienced claims professionals are ready to address your questions.

Whom should I contact to report a claim?

Click here for options to report a claim 

What should I do if I have a property loss?

  • Make certain everyone is safe.  Keep family members and others away from damaged property or autos.
  • Protect your property from further damage.  For example:

    • Tarp a damaged roof to avoid water or other damage inside.
    • Insulate and/or board up windows and doors after a fire, wind or a break-in loss. This could also prevent freeze up or additional damage.
    • When appropriate, shut off utilities, such as water, gas and electricity.
    • If possible, maintain heat in the building to avoid additional frozen pipes or plumbing damage. If it is impossible to maintain heat, drain all plumbing fixtures and if necessary contact a plumber to assist you.
  • Contact Authorities.  Contact the police in cases where the law has been violated, such as theft, burglary, vandalism, auto accidents, or suspected arson.
  • Contact your agent as soon as possible.  Correct and current information will ensure that we can reach you to better service your needs.
  • Write down a detailed description of what happened.  Include information about the extent of damage and an inventory of all damaged property.

For automobile insurance claims, include the following:

  • Accident details including day, time, location and damage caused
  • Names and addresses of any witnesses or injured persons
  • Whether police were notified and, if so, which agency responded
  • Year, make, model and plate numbers of all vehicles involved
  • Your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • Information on other drivers involved including contact information, driver's license numbers and insurance details (policy number, company or agent)

What should I do if I have a liability claim?

Liability losses involve damage to someone else's property or injury to another person.

  • Contact your agent immediately if there is an accident, or if you become aware of anything that indicates there might be a claim.
  • Don't acknowledge or deny responsibility when an accident occurs.
  • Avoid making statements such as, "We'll take care of everything." Instead, say, "We'll report this injury to our insurance company, and they'll be in touch with you."
  • See that appropriate medical care is provided immediately if someone is injured. Without acknowledging responsibility, provide our name, address, and phone number if requested by an injured person.

What will happen after I submit my claim?

  • Wayne Insurance Group’s claims department will acknowledge your claim by telephone or in writing within 24 hours of notification.
  • Our experienced staff will gather any other information needed and assist you in resolving your claim as quickly as possible.
  • For more serious losses, we will assign an adjuster to help establish the full extent of your damages and assist you in settling your claim.

What happens if I am sued or receive a third-party claim?

  • Complaint and Summons. If you are sued, the plaintiff's lawyer will have the court send two documents to you or your business: a complaint (a description of the lawsuit) and a summons (a request for your response)
  • Call Quickly. If you receive a summons and complaint, or a third-party claim, notify your Wayne Insurance Group agent immediately so that we can evaluate the demand and respond as necessary.
  • Avoid Communication with the Plaintiffs. Avoid direct communication with the plaintiff or plaintiff's attorney regarding the claim. If you are approached by another insurance company, the plaintiff's attorney or an investigator, or if you are asked to do any of the items below, decline the request and refer them to Wayne Insurance Group’s Claims Department. These items may include, but are not limited to:
    • requests to sign a statement
    • requests to take photos of the area involved
    • requests for inspection of items involved in the loss
    • requests to complete a questionnaire
    • requests to provide coverage information

If any of the provisions of this website conflict with the provisions of any of our policies, the provisions of the policies control.

Wayne Insurance Group

For more than a century, the Wayne Insurance Group companies have delivered financial security and peace of mind for families, farms and businesses. As mutual insurance companies, we exist to serve the insurance needs of our policyholders. We have partnered with a network of independent agents to offer a full line of insurance programs backed by prompt, fair claims service and support.

Contact Us

Wayne Insurance Group
3873 Cleveland Road
Wooster, Ohio 44691

Tel: 330-345-8100 | Tol: 800-222-3873

Wayne Mutual Insurance Company

Founded in 1910, Wayne Mutual Insurance Company provides a wide range of property and casualty insurance programs for automobiles, homes, farms, investment properties, and businesses.

Washington Mutual Insurance Association

Since 1878, Washington Mutual Insurance Association has provided protection for homes, farms and personal property. Our products can be tailored to meet the specific needs of our policyholders.

Mid-State Farmers Mutual Insurance Company

Mid-State Farmers Mutual Insurance Company has been insuring homes and farms in Indiana since 1878, and remains committed to providing dependable protection, seeking creative solutions, and establishing synergetic relationships.